The modern science of archaeology, which began in the mid-1800’s, has revolutionized our knowledge of the ancient Biblical world. Many archaeological discoveries relate directly to Scripture and confirm the historicity of the Biblical record. Other discoveries provide fascinating background material for the Biblical narratives. As people are made aware of these discoveries, the Bible suddenly comes alive and Bible study is made more interesting and meaningful.
Today’s technology has enabled archaeological research and publication to be greatly accelerated. More information is now being produced than ever before. It is even hard for professionals to keep up with the most recent developments.
That’s why the ministry of the Associates for Biblical Research is so important and valuable. Our staff of professional archaeologists is actually producing some of the latest research. In addition, we stay in communication with other scholars active in the field and get the inside story on recent developments.
The Associates for Biblical Research keeps you informed on the latest discoveries. Furthermore, we also provide a Biblical perspective for the significance of each discovery.
To provide information to the Christian community and the general public by the most effective means available on the subject of Biblical archaeology and the creation/evolution issues. This information is to be obtained from original research and fieldwork, and the research and fieldwork done by others outside the organization. This information disseminated and the activities of the organization shall be for the purpose of:
- Demonstrating the historical reliability of the Bible
- Resolving apparent conflicts between the findings of archaeology and science, and the Bible
- Illuminating and enhancing understanding of the Biblical text
- Edifying the Christian Church by encouraging a deeper knowledge of, greater appreciation for, and stronger faith in the Bible through knowledge and correct interpretation of the findings from archaeology and science
- Making Biblical truth applicable and useful to daily Christian life and witness
- Propagating the Christian faith by encouraging faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and yielding to Him as Lord, whenever and wherever such opportunity occurs
- Exemplifying the Christian faith by word and deed
Statement of Faith
- We believe in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as the verbally inspired Word of God, and inerrant in the original writings, and that they are of supreme and final authority in faith and life.
- We believe in one God, eternally in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, true God and true man, that He died for our sins according to the Scriptures as a representative and substitutionary sacrifice; and, that all who believe in Him are justified on the ground of His shed blood.
- We believe that man was created in the image of God; that he sinned, and thereby incurred not only physical death but also spiritual death, which is separation from God; and, that all human beings are born with a sinful nature.
- We believe that all who receive by faith the Lord Jesus Christ have been born again of the Holy Spirit and have become children of God.
- We believe in the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, in His ascension into heaven, and in His present life there for us as High Priest and Advocate, and that He is coming again for all who believe.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved, and the everlasting punishment of the lost.
- We believe in and confess our dependence upon the Holy Spirit and His present ministry of the illumination of God's Word and protection from the "wiles of the Devil" of those whom He has baptized into Christ at the time of their salvation through the outpouring of His gifts and empowering of the saints for holy living.
- We reject the philosophy that all truth is relative, and that, therefore, no objective historical/scientific facts can be established. Instead, we hold to the premise that observed truth (from objective scientific observations) cannot be in conflict with revealed truth (from Spirit-guided interpretation of the Bible).
- We consider the accounts found in Genesis 1-11 to be factual historical events, and find no Biblical, hermeneutical or exegetical basis for their allegorical interpretation.
- We consider the patriarchal narratives to be historical, and accept the Biblical chronologies of the Old and New Testaments as accurate (although not necessarily exhaustive).
Philosophy of Ministry
- ABR is unique in its mission as an evangelical organization founded for the purpose of research and fieldwork in Biblical archaeology, in order to demonstrate the historical reliability and accuracy of the Scriptures and to propagate the Christian faith. Its mission is based on the conviction that the Bible is the Word of God and, therefore, infallible, inerrant and authoritative in its original writings (the autographs).
- Furthermore, it is accepted that the Bible has been faithfully preserved by God in its transmission down through the centuries. Thus, the most correct and powerful application of Biblical truth is based on its accurate interpretation. This is best understood by examining the text in light of historical research into the world in which the Bible was written.
- ABR understands that its responsibility is to disseminate its message worldwide and to be a spokesman both to and for the evangelical community. To accomplish this, ABR staff must sponsor and be actively engaged in primary (original) research and keep abreast of, understand, and interpret, the work of others pertaining to the mission of ABR.
- Key to the effectiveness and influence of ABR's message is the timely publication and presentation of its work to the academic community, Christian community and general public. This will be done by all means available to the staff including, but not limited to, articles, books, lectures, classes, media appearances and interviews; and internal verbal, print, and audio and visual electronic media.
- It is the view of ABR that people in the Christian community and general public are interested in the subjects of Biblical archaeology and creation/evolution issues. Proper research and the gathering of relevant information which is presented in a compelling manner, will be well received and successfully fulfill the mission of ABR.