The modern science of archaeology, which began in the mid-1800’s, has revolutionized our knowledge of the ancient Biblical world. Many archaeological discoveries relate directly to Scripture and confirm the historicity of the Biblical record. Other discoveries provide fascinating background material for the Biblical narratives. As people are made aware of these discoveries, the Bible suddenly comes alive and Bible study is made more interesting and meaningful.
Today’s technology has enabled archaeological research and publication to be greatly accelerated. More information is now being produced than ever before. It is even hard for professionals to keep up with the most recent developments.
That’s why the ministry of the Associates for Biblical Research is so important and valuable. Our staff of professional archaeologists is actually producing some of the latest research. In addition, we stay in communication with other scholars active in the field and get the inside story on recent developments.
The Associates for Biblical Research keeps you informed on the latest discoveries. Furthermore, we also provide a Biblical perspective for the significance of each discovery.
Associates for Biblical Research exists to serve the global Church of Jesus Christ through ministries that affirm and promote the full authority, reliability and inerrancy of the Scriptures. ABR’s teaching ministries include:
- In-depth textual, cultural and historical analysis of biblical accounts
- Conducting original field research, including archaeological excavations to determine the location of specific biblical sites and events, especially sites dismissed as folk legends by the world of critical scholarship. ABR addresses critical scholarship in the realms of science, theology, and biblical studies, establishing the factual and historical truth of Scripture
- The Staff and Associates of ABR provide critical analysis of fieldwork, research, and popular media produced for both the scholarly community and for dissemination to the general public. ABR corrects erroneous interpretations of data and the false conclusions associated with such interpretations through sound scientific and research practices and procedures. This includes identification of logical fallacies, errors of fact, and the tearing down of any argument raised up against the knowledge of the truth.
- ABR seeks to resolve apparent conflicts between the findings of archaeology and science, and the Bible
- ABR combines presuppositional and evidential apologetics to dynamically reach the post-modern mind. The Bible is inspired of God, and as God’s written revelation it is the ultimate source of truth about God and His creation. Scripture is the foundation and guide in interpreting all other historical data including sources of evidence that support the reliability of the Bible.
- ABR provides teaching on subjects related to Creation and Evolution, Genesis 1-11 with special attention to biblical chronology, the global Flood and Noah’s Ark, ancient man and cultures from the Flood to Abraham and from Abraham to the formation of Israel in Egypt, the Exodus, the Conquest of Canaan, and the Monarchy.
- The teaching ministries of ABR include published research, popular articles in ABR publications and other magazines and journals, video presentations, seminars, and children’s educational ministries. All ABR teaching ministries are designed for the purpose of:
- Illuminating and enhancing the understanding of the biblical text
- Edifying the Christian Church by encouraging a deeper knowledge of the word of God
- Making biblical truth applicable and useful to all believers in Jesus Christ
- Sharing the gospel of the love of Christ with all who are touched by the ministry of ABR
Statement of Faith
- We believe in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as the verbally inspired Word of God, and inerrant in the original writings, and that they are of supreme and final authority in faith and life.
- We believe in one God, eternally in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, true God and true man, that He died for our sins according to the Scriptures as a representative and substitutionary sacrifice; and, that all who believe in Him are justified on the ground of His shed blood.
- We believe that man was created in the image of God; that he sinned, and thereby incurred not only physical death but also spiritual death, which is separation from God; and, that all human beings are born with a sinful nature.
- We believe that all who receive by faith the Lord Jesus Christ have been born again of the Holy Spirit and have become children of God.
- We believe in the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, in His ascension into heaven, and in His present life there for us as High Priest and Advocate, and that He is coming again for all who believe.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved, and the everlasting punishment of the lost.
- We believe in and confess our dependence upon the Holy Spirit and His present ministry of the illumination of God's Word and protection from the "wiles of the Devil" of those whom He has baptized into Christ at the time of their salvation through the outpouring of His gifts and empowering of the saints for holy living.
- We reject the philosophy that all truth is relative, and that, therefore, no objective historical/scientific facts can be established. Instead, we hold to the premise that observed truth (from objective scientific observations) cannot be in conflict with revealed truth (from Spirit-guided interpretation of the Bible).
- We believe the accounts found in Genesis 1-11 contain factual and real-time, chronology, historical events, places, and persons. This includes the accuracy and real historicity of the persons, ages, and events recorded in the genealogies of Genesis 5 and 11, which may or may not be exhaustive. These records incorporate the accounts of those who were eyewitnesses to the events recorded. We find no biblical, hermeneutical, or exegetical basis to interpret them allegorically, non-historically, or mythically. These accounts do not require knowledge of Ancient Near Eastern literature to be interpreted correctly. We deny that God used erroneous worldviews from ANE mythology to inspire the writing of Genesis 1-11.
- We consider the patriarchal narratives of Genesis 12-50 to be historically accurate in their reporting of chronology, persons, places, events, and cultural customs and background. Further, we believe that the extensive chronological data found in both the Old and New Testaments is historically accurate.
Philosophy of Ministry
- ABR is unique in its mission as an evangelical organization founded for the purpose of research and fieldwork in Biblical archaeology, in order to demonstrate the historical reliability and accuracy of the Scriptures and to propagate the Christian faith. Its mission is based on the conviction that the Bible is the Word of God and, therefore, infallible, inerrant and authoritative in its original writings (the autographs).
- Furthermore, it is accepted that the Bible has been faithfully preserved by God in its transmission down through the centuries. Thus, the most correct and powerful application of Biblical truth is based on its accurate interpretation. This is best understood by examining the text in light of historical research into the world in which the Bible was written.
- ABR understands that its responsibility is to disseminate its message worldwide and to be a spokesman both to and for the evangelical community. To accomplish this, ABR staff must sponsor and be actively engaged in primary (original) research and keep abreast of, understand, and interpret, the work of others pertaining to the mission of ABR.
- Key to the effectiveness and influence of ABR's message is the timely publication and presentation of its work to the academic community, Christian community and general public. This will be done by all means available to the staff including, but not limited to, articles, books, lectures, classes, media appearances and interviews; and internal verbal, print, and audio and visual electronic media.
- It is the view of ABR that people in the Christian community and general public are interested in the subjects of Biblical archaeology and creation/evolution issues. Proper research and the gathering of relevant information which is presented in a compelling manner, will be well received and successfully fulfill the mission of ABR.