Travel Details and Deadlines: All Subject to Change without Notice
1. The full GROUND ONLY (Sunday May 18 [3 PM Check in Time]- Saturday May 31, 2014 [AM Check out]) price for this trip is $TBA. This includes double occupancy room at Yad Hashmonah, and 3 meals a day, transport by bus to and from the Dig, and evening education classes. Partial trips can be priced on an individual basis. Travelers are responsible for their own travel arrangements, including flight and transport to and from the airport. Deadline for signup is April 1, 2014, though we will take applications after that date if rooms are still available.
2. ABR will not be arranging group flights. We have found that group rates are more expensive than individual tickets to Israel. In order to minimize costs for our volunteers, we have decided to allow travelers to make their own flight arrangements in order to find the best deals possible.
3. A $500 per person deposits is due on a first come, first serve basis. We highly recommend sending in your deposit asap to reserve your space. The deposit deadline is March 15, 2014.
a. Final payment in full is due: April 15, 2014.
b. Upon receipt of deposit, travelers will receive paperwork that requires immediate attention. You will also receive a free printed copy of the Winter 2011 issue of Bible and Spade, dedicated to the work at Khirbet el-Maqatir.
5. Download these TWO PDF Forms. Both forms must be filled completely filled out by hand, not electronically! (click below):
Not yet available for the 2014 season.
Safety is of primary importance on this excavation. The Israeli Antiquities Authority and Israeli Defense Force have reviewed the situation locally, and determined that it is safe for ABR to dig at the site. Previous experience has shown that the locals are very friendly and helpful to ABR staff and volunteers. Security guards will be required and provided by ABR at the site, and the IDF monitors our activity. The excavation is very safe.
6. While digging, we will be staying at a Christian/Messianic Jewish moshav, Yad Hashmona, near Abu Ghosh. It is located about 8 miles west of the old city of Jerusalem in the Judean hills. The moshav was started by Finnish Christian immigrants, who were later joined by Messianic believers. It is in a secure area, isolated from the potential trouble spots, and yet close enough to Jerusalem for easy access to the many attractions there.
7. Yad Hashmonah has wireless internet access in some of the rooms, wireless access near the lobby, as well as a public computer in the lobby. There is a swimming pool available next door for Yad Hashmonah guests.
8. Single rooms are available at an additional cost of $60 per night.
Traveler's and Health Insurance
9. We strongly recommend the purchase of travelers insurance in the event of a family emergency, illness, etc. ABR CANNOT GUARANTEE THE RECOVERY OF ANY MONIES PAID FOR THE TRIP! Be sure your insurance covers travel in the West Bank, which is where our site is located. Atlas Travel covers travelers in the West Bank, according to a referral from a recent ABR traveler.
9. All Travelers MUST have Medical Insurance coverage for this trip. ABR cannot and will not be responsible in any way for any hospital or doctor visits or ambulance transport needed by travelers, whether the result of sickness or injury. MEDICARE IS NOT ACCEPTED OUTSIDE THE US! All travelers must thoroughly document their medications, and provide family and doctor emergency contact information.
10. Medical Evacuation Insurance as well must be purchased as well, in case a traveler need to be transported to the US. Without insurance, this could cost more than $50K.
11. No visa is required if you have a passport from an APPROVED country and are staying less than 90 days. If you have other plans or have a non-US passport, please visit the Israeli Embassy website.
12. Passport must have an expiration date that expires SIX MONTHS beyond your last intended day of stay in Israel. For purposes of the ABR trip, your passport must have an expiration date that postdates December 1, 2014.
14. The monies paid toward the Maqatir excavation are not considered a donation to ABR. However, because you are providing volunteer work for ABR, all expenses related to that work may be deductible as expenses of volunteer work for a non-profit ministry. This does not include any touring. You will receive a receipt in the mail in the January following the dig. Please consult a tax professional for advice.
Making Your Payment
Help ABR save on Credit Card bank fees by paying by check, if you are able.
15. To pay your deposit online or make full payment, please follow these instructions with our secure donation page:
a. In the ONE TIME GIFT field, click on OTHER and enter the proper dollar amount.
b. Then, under SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS, type: PAYMENT-DEPOSIT FOR MAQATIR DIG 2013.
c. Fill out the rest of the form. You will make your payment through PayPal. You do not need a PayPal account. You can use your CC through PayPal.
d. Pay by check.
The Battle Continues: Won't You Join Us?
Last Updated: 5/2/2013
24-1 Low Rez.pdf (3.26 mb)